Accelerated AI innovation with Microsoft Bing and Microsoft Edge
Microsoft Bing is a web search engine owned and operated by Microsoft. It was launched on June 1, 2009, as a successor to Microsoft’s previous search engines, Live Search, and MSN Search. Bing aims to provide relevant search results and a visually appealing search experience to users. Bing offers a wide range of search services, including web search, image search, video search, news search, maps, and more. It utilizes various algorithms and technologies to index and retrieve information from the web, and it presents search results in a format that includes web page previews, related searches, and additional information like weather forecasts, stock quotes, and sports scores.
One notable feature of Bing is its focus on providing visually rich results. For example, it includes a daily changing background image on its homepage, known as the “Bing homepage image,” which showcases stunning photographs and provides additional information about the image. Bing also provides features like image slideshows, video previews, and image-based search suggestions. In addition to its web search capabilities, Bing powers the search functionality for other Microsoft products and services, such as Microsoft Edge (the default web browser for Windows), Cortana (Microsoft’s virtual assistant), and the search function within Windows 10. Overall, Microsoft Bing is a search engine that aims to deliver relevant search results, provide visually engaging experiences, and power search features across various Microsoft platforms. Microsoft Edge is a web browser developed and maintained by Microsoft. It was first introduced in 2015 as the successor to Internet Explorer, the previous default web browser for Windows.
Microsoft Edge was built from scratch with a new rendering engine called Edge, HTML, designed to be faster, more secure, and compatible with modern web standards. Since its initial release, Microsoft has made several updates and enhancements to Edge. In 2019, Microsoft announced a major update to Edge by adopting the Chromium open-source project, which is the same underlying technology that powers Google Chrome. This transition to Chromium allowed Edge to offer better compatibility with websites and extensions developed for Chrome.
Microsoft Edge offers a range of features, including:
- User interface: Edge provides a clean and intuitive user interface with features like a customizable start page, tab management, and the ability to group tabs.
- Performance and security: Microsoft Edge are designed to offer faster page load times and improved security features, such as built-in protection against phishing and malicious websites.
- Compatibility: With its switch to Chromium, Edge is now more compatible with websites and web applications, reducing compatibility issues that were sometimes encountered with Internet Explorer.
- Extensions: Users can access and install a wide range of extensions from the Microsoft Edge Add-ons store, including popular ones like ad blockers, password managers, and productivity tools.
- Integration with Microsoft services: Edge integrates seamlessly with Microsoft services and features, such as Bing search, Microsoft 365, and Cortana, Microsoft’s virtual assistant. Microsoft Edge is available for Windows, macOS, iOS, and Android, allowing users to synchronize their browsing data across devices.
The new AI-powered Microsoft Bing and Edge was introduced to reinvent the future of search with your copilot for the web. This is to tackle a universal problem with traditional search – that nearly half of all web searches go unanswered, resulting in billions of people’s searches falling short of the mark. The new Bing shall bring you better search results, answers to your questions, the ability to create and compose, and with a new level of ease of use by being able to chat in natural language. Bing combines powerful large language models like OpenAI’s GPT-4 with our immense search index for results that are current, cited, and conversational. This is fundamentally changing the way people find information. The new Bing and Edge can be enjoyed by simply signing into Bing with your Microsoft Account.
Microsoft is moving to the next generation of AI-powered Bing and Edge to transform the largest category of software in the world – search – by greatly expanding the vision and capabilities we think of as Your Copilot for the Web. This next generation is defined by:
- Opening Bing to more people by moving from Limited Preview to Open Preview and eliminating the waitlist for trial.
- Moving from text-only search & chat to one that is incredibly more visual with rich image/video answers and coming shortly, new multimodal support.
- Moving from single use chat/search sessions to multi-session productivity experiences with chat history and persistent chats within Edge.
- Opening platform capabilities so developers and third parties can build on top of Bing to help people take actions on their queries and complete tasks.
Research Shows that the human brain processes visual information about 60,000 times faster than text, making visual tools a critical way people search, create and gain understanding. Bing has always been known for its visual experiences including features like Knowledge Cards and visual search. It appears that you are referring to recent developments and updates in Microsoft’s Bing search engine and chat experience. Microsoft has focused on enhancing the visual aspects of Bing, recognizing the importance of visual tools in processing information quickly and effectively. They claim that the human brain processes visual information much faster than text, and thus, Bing aims to deliver richer and more visual answers to help users find information more easily.
One of the key features mentioned is the integration of Bing Image Creator into the new Bing chat experience. This integration allows users to generate both written and visual content within the chat interface, making Bing the only search experience with this capability. Moreover, Microsoft has expanded the availability of Image Creator to include all languages supported by Bing, enabling users to create images in their native languages. The announcement also mentions the ongoing redesign of Microsoft Edge, which is positioned as a browser that incorporates AI and has Bing built into it. The new version of Microsoft Edge is expected to have a sleeker and enhanced user interface with rounded corners, organized containers, and semi-transparent visual elements. The focus is on providing a streamlined and visually appealing browsing experience. Additionally, Microsoft plans to incorporate multi-modal capabilities into Bing’s chat experience, allowing users to upload images and perform visual searches to find related content on the web. This feature would further enhance the search capabilities and provide users with more diverse ways to interact with Bing.
It appears that the information you provided is about upcoming features and improvements related to Microsoft Bing chat and Microsoft Edge. Here is a summary of the features mentioned:
- Chat History: Users will have the ability to maintain access to their chat history and pick up where they left off in Bing chat.
- Sharing and Exporting: Users will be able to share and export their chats. The format will remain consistent, allowing for an easy transition to collaborative tools like Microsoft Word.
- Contextual Chat: Microsoft is exploring ways to personalize chats by bringing context from previous conversations into new ones. This feature aims to enhance the continuity and relevance of conversations.
- Chat Integration in Edge Sidebar: When opening a Bing chat result, the chat will move to the Edge sidebar, enabling users to keep the chat accessible while browsing the web.
- Improved Summarization: Edge will introduce improved summarization capabilities for long documents, including PDFs and longer-form websites. This feature will make it easier to consume dense online content.
- Edge Actions: Users will soon be able to perform tasks with fewer steps using AI-powered Edge actions. For example, finding and playing a specific movie option from available sources.
- Page Context in Edge Mobile: Edge mobile will provide page context, allowing users to ask questions in Bing chat specifically related to the mobile page they are viewing.
- Draft Tailoring: The compose feature in the Edge sidebar can now customize drafts based on user feedback, such as tone, length, phrasing, and more.
Product to Platform
Integrating AI-powered capabilities, such as image creation and third-party plug-ins, into Bing chat could indeed offer users a more convenient way to find information and complete tasks. By leveraging tools like Image Creator, users can save time and effort by generating the images they need directly within the chat interface. The integration of third-party plug-ins, like OpenTable for restaurant reservations or Wolfram|Alpha for complex data-based questions, can enhance the functionality of Bing chat. This allows users to seamlessly access and utilize the services provided by these partners without leaving the chat interface. Collaborations between Microsoft and OpenAI indicate a joint effort to improve the developer experience and make it easier for them to leverage these capabilities within Bing chat. This could potentially open new opportunities for developers to create innovative applications and services that integrate with the search platform. As for the specifics and further details regarding these features and partnerships, it’s best to refer to the official announcements and updates from Microsoft and Bing, especially the Microsoft Build event you mentioned. They would provide the most accurate and up-to-date information on the advancements and future for Bing chat.
It’s great to hear that responsible AI is a priority for the development of the new Bing and Edge experiences. Learning from real-world testing and feedback during the preview phase is an important step in understanding how the technology performs and addressing any issues that may arise. Collaborating with partners like OpenAI can bring valuable expertise and resources to enhance the safeguards against harmful content. It’s crucial to continuously improve and implement measures to combat misinformation, disinformation, and the promotion of harmful or discriminatory content. By aligning with AI principles, the teams are committed to ensuring user safety, data security, and a positive experience for all users. If you would like to learn more about Bing’s approach to responsible AI, you can visit their website for detailed information on how they address these important issues.
The new experience of Microsoft Bing and Microsoft Edge shall be a great new experience for the business enterprises. Vistas Cloud are pioneers in the field of Microsoft Dynamics and Microsoft 365 and Azure. This platform is a comprehensive solution that can help businesses streamline their operations and improve customer experiences, and having a team of experts to support its implementation and management can be invaluable. Vistas Cloud also provides training and education for users to ensure that they can effectively use the platform to meet their unique nonprofit business needs.